Personal Application of Psychologically, Spiritually and Physical Domains: Final Project
In order for health and wellness
professional to help others, they need to be psychologically, spiritually, and
physically developed. This is important since it is the professional who guides
their clients into wholeness. Additionally, the professional should lead by
example, as guiding others to wellness can enhance the professional’s
well-being (Dacher, 2006). Personally, I feel as I am on the path to wholeness
when it comes to psychological and physical development, as I have the will to
seek change and care for my physic. The area that I would like to further
develop is my spirituality. I feel as though I need to further develop my
spirituality as I want to continue to reach a deeper awareness. I would want to
reach great levels of inner calmness; therefore, it is important that I
continue mediation.
Assessment
As everyone
has different needs, the assessments of our development should take into
account our differences. Personally, I would utilized assessment, cited in
Dacher (2006), as the integral assessment, helps the individual create an
understanding of each domain. Additionally, I would utilize others methods to
assess each domain. First and foremost, I would create goals for myself, which
will be uses as an assessment tool. For the domain of spirituality, I would
assess the different levels of inner peace that I feel. As I am not aware of
the maximum level of inner peace, I would assess my development in term of how
I am able to deal with situations. According to Dacher (2006), an individual
who has inner peace, is better able to deal with difficult situations, as
he/she feels a sense of calmness. As I am still developing my inner self, I
would score my spiritually levels as beginner, since it can take make years to
develop greater levels of consciousness.
Physically,
I feel that I am very well developed, as I do take all the proper steps to take
care of myself. Additionally, I am not satisfied with being average in this
domain; therefore, I always push myself and strive for greater physical health.
In this domain, I would assess my development by the ability to continually
push myself to achieve greater. In order to do this, I would take my
performance on competitions, such as 5k’s and the Spartan race, as an
assessment tool. I would score my physical health as advance; however, there is
always room to grow.
As far as my psychological
development is concerned, I feel as though I things that I would like to work
on; however, I am well advance compared to a few years ago. As the mind is such
an important factor in order to reach greater levels of consciousness, as
negative thoughts and beliefs can enable one’s development, I need to address
factors such as stress. I will assess the physiological domain, by assessing
levels of stress. I feels as though I can tend to fluctuate when it comes to
stress management; therefore, affecting my psychological development.
Goal development
As we strive for wholeness, we must
remember that integral health is not about the full development of all areas of
life, rather then development of the areas needed in certain stages of life
(Dacher, 2006). Hence, my current goal of each domain is based on my current
need. Concerning my physical health, my goal is to keep myself at my current
level of physical fitness, as I am quite content. In the psychological domain,
I would like reduce stress levels in my life. My goal in this domain is to
consistently be able to handle stress. Even though, I may act as though
difficult situations do not bother me to the outside world, I tend to bottle
these feelings inside, which is what is inhibiting me from achieving wholeness.
My goal for the last domain, spiritually, is not only reach greater levels of
awareness, but also to help other achieve the same. Touching the lives of
others will help me receive greater levels of fulfillment. Undoubtedly,
wholeness is something that should be shared with others (Dacher).
Practices for personal health
In order to
foster growth it is important to implement exercises and practice while
enhancing physical, psychological, and spiritual development. Some exercises
that I will use to foster growth in my physical development are kickboxing and other
types of cardiovascular training. Both exercises do not only help my physical
being, but also assist with stress management, as practice in one domain can
affect another (Dacher, 2006). I implement kickboxing in my training routine, two
to three times a week; as far as the other types of cardiovascular training is
concerned, I implement them five to six times a week.
Exercises
that will foster the psychological domain, which I will implement is the Subtle
mind practice. This practice will help to reduce “noise”, as it will remove
negative thoughts that can hinder growth (Dacher, 2006). I will incorporate
this practice a couple of times a week, and if possible, everyday. Another
practice that I will implement to train the mind would be to do puzzles or
activities such as Sudoku; I would implement these activities throughout the
week as often as possible.
Lastly, in order to enhance my
spiritual development, I will incorporate the practice of mediation on a daily
bases. This practice will be implemented early in the day, in order to better prepare
as the day passes. Another practice that I will implement that will enhance my
spiritual development is yoga. I have a difficult time implementing this type
of exercise, as it is not my exercise of choice; however, the benefits motivate
me to try. I will start off implementing this type of exercise on a weekly
base, and eventually plan to incorporate it more to my routine. I will also try
to go with my wife when she takes yoga classes, in order to have further
motivation to commit to the practice.
Commitment
In order to asses my progression six
months from now, I will utilize Dacher (2006) integral assessment. Alongside, I
will asses if all of my personal goals have been met and set new ones for
myself as I progress forward. Therefore, I will utilize my consistency with the
exercise and practice setting-up for each domain, as another way to asses my
progression. In order to properly document my progression, I will use a journal
to record my progression. The journal will not only help my track my
progression, but the lack of progression, as it allows me to see any fall-outs.
Reference
Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral
health: the path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach: Basic Health Publications.
Daniel,
ReplyDeleteGreat paper! I hope to get to the point of being able to exercise 5 to 6 times a week. Last week was the first time I was able to do it in many many years and I re-injured my bad knee. Normally, I would take a few days off to heal but this time I found another form of exercises that I can do without putting strain on my injury. I like your idea of keeping a journal. My problem is that I wouldn't write in it consistently. I have a few that I purchased because I liked the cover thinking that would motivate me but now I just have a few empty journals, go figure. Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your posts and I wish you much success in your endeavors! Good luck with the races and just keep focused. It is just as important to keep physically fit as it is to keep mentally and spiritually fit.
Megan
Wow! You do kickboxing? I would absolutely love to start kick boxing! I have been talking about it for over a year. I guess I am just a little nervous to start it. I am a pretty tough girl and I'm in shape. I can definitely see how it would help with stress management. In my opinion, all forms of exercise help with stress. You go in stressed, and leave with your mind refreshed (maybe not your body because its all sweaty lol)
ReplyDeleteJessica
Hi Daniel,
ReplyDeleteGreat ob on your post/project. I found it interesting that you discussed how keep things bottled in, I am just the opposite I tend to blurt them out... In the past I had issues with being too emotional but now I tend to weigh my responses. I think that you will do a great job inspiring your clients and I am sure you will help create a positive change in our world. I wish you continued success as you travel on your journey towards integral health.