Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Unit 7- Meeting Aesclepius



  1. Complete the Meeting Aesclepius mp3 (located in the Doc Sharing area). Describe your meditative practices for the week and discuss the experience. Explain how mindfulness or meditation has fostered an increase in your psychological or spiritual wellness. How can you continue to apply these practices in your life to foster greater health and wellness?
The Meeting Aesclepius exercise was very interesting as it allows one to visualize characteristics that seem important and image that one has those characteristics. When I first started doing the exercise, different individuals came to mind; therefore, it was difficult to concentrate on one individual. However, I decided to choose one person per day; this allowed for the experience to be different every day. Undoubtedly, these past few weeks I have notice a great change in my psychological and spiritual health. Meditation has helped to decrease stress levels and has allowed me to feel inner peace. I plan to continue to incorporate meditation practices in my life in order to foster greater health and wellness. By remembering the benefits of meditative practices, I continue to put my psychological and spiritual health, along with my physical health, as a priority.
  1. Describe the saying: "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" (p.477). How does this apply to the health and wellness professional? Do you have an obligation to your clients to be developing your health psychologically, physically, and spiritually? Why or why not? How can you implement psychological and spiritual growth in your personal life?
Undoubtedly, it is difficult to guide others on a path that one is not familiar with. Unless one has experienced a certain adversity, they may not be aware of all challenges and difficulties that may occur in the process. For a health and wellness professional it is important to reach the point of feeling wholeness, as it helps to properly guide one’s clients. Additionally if one experiences that inner peace it is easier for others to pick up on it and incorporate it in their lives. Personally, I feel an obligation to help my clients in their entire personal development. Being equipped with the information that I have, I find it necessary to spread the knowledge. Additionally, I know that physical health is affected by one’s psychological and spiritual health; therefore, in order for my client’s to thrive physically, psychological and spiritual health needs to be addressed. By relaying all this information and by incorporating holistic practices, I am able to see psychological and spiritual growth in my life.

4 comments:

  1. Daniel,
    I also found it hard at first to do Aesclepius. But later after, I found it very heart-warming. I guess it really makes you think about who you admire most of all in your life and living up to that person or being better. I liked this experience. It got me into thinking more about my future and what I expect from the world around me and those close. I hope you benefit more from these and lower your stress levels more. I noticed my stress levels not being as high as it use to be too. So I'm looking forward to more psychological wellness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel,
    I found it interesting that you completed this exercise several times each time visualizing a different person. For me, my Grandmother immediately came to mind as she is the most kind and compassionate person I have ever met in my life. I, too have incorporated meditation in my life and feel more relaxed, less stressed and at the same time revitalized! You are correct in saying that it is important that we incorporate holistic practices in our own lives before we can promote change in others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daniel,
    I enjoyed reading your progress and the fact that you decided to focus on one person per day. I also applaud you for continuing to incorporate mediation as a daily practice to decrease stress. I know this a great tool that you will be able to share with all whom you work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daniel, I found your decision to use one person a day to be interesting. I love the way you plan to keep incorporating meditation into your life. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete