Saturday, August 24, 2013

Unit 4-Loving Kindness



  1. Describe your experience. Did you find it beneficial? Difficult? Why or why not? Would you recommend this to others? Why or why not?
This was a very interesting exercise; on the other hand, it kind of put me to sleep. As Dacher (2006) recommended, I personally did the exercise early in the morning, as my mind would be clearer; however, that did not work for me. Therefore, I redid the exercise late afternoon, as I tried to unwind from my busy day. As I went to the exercise, I found it beneficial, as they were asking to direct loving kindness to one’s self. Many times, we do not think of us loving our self in the way that we love others. The exercise allowed me to focus my love that I have for another on to myself. After a couple of time running through the exercise, it was easier for me to focus at the task that was being directed toward. I would recommend this exercise to others as it helps you learn to truly love one’s self and others.
  1. What is the concept of "mental workout"? What does the research indicate are the proven benefits of a mental workout? How can you implement mental workouts to foster your psychological health?
A mental workout out helps us condition our brains in order to achieve greater levels of consciousness and be more aware of our self (Dacher, 2006). The idea of working out your brain is similar to working out your body, to where your brain is able to reach different levels of consciousness. Alongside, as the mind and spirit are connected, by exercising your brain and releasing negatively, one is better able to achieve greater levels of human flourishing. Research indicates a mental workout offer many benefits, as it helps to change the brain’s circuitry, where functions of the brain, such as memories and attention can be improved (Dacher). By meditating, focusing on relaxation/breathing, simply practicing on clearing my mind, I am able to implement mental workouts in order to improve my psychological health. 

Reference

Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral health: the path to human flourishing. Laguna Beach: Basic             Health Publications.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Daniel,

    I think that we need to incorporate these mental workouts into our lives in order to truly experience complete health and wellness. As westerners we never learned to embrace our inner selves so we are like infants learning and as we become more practiced outside interference will not bother us as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Daniel,

    In response to your first topic, I do also find it beneficial to practice these exercises but if we are not total open and fully aware, we might find ourselves falling asleep trying to practice them, I have to admit I did have a moment where I doze off because of how tranquil I become listening to low tone and nature of the speaker.

    -Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Daniel,
    I agree with you, I believe most of us have had challenges with remaining focus with these exercise because we lead such busy lives! But I am encouraged with practice you will be a mental Olympian!

    ReplyDelete